Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Do It All OR Do Nothing At All


I am the type of person that gets overwhelmed very easily. For a long time, my way of thinking really kept me from being productive. When I have a large number of things I have to get done, which is typically every day, I tend to get so overwhelmed that I end up not doing a single thing. In the morning when I wake up I think about all the stuff I need to get done, like, regular household chores, school work and starting my career (not including taking care of my son).

When I start this thinking process my head begins to spiral and I start making little tasks—such as making me something to eat—into a much bigger task than they really are. I get so overwhelmed that I end up not doing a thing. Instead, I curl up on my couch and watch TV all day.

Don’t be mistaken, I take care of my son and make sure that he is fed, cleaned, clothed and entertained, but I do this because his well-being is a priority. 

Yes, I know what you are thinking, isn’t my well-being a priority? It should be… but sometimes it’s not. I tend to feel guilty or overwhelmed when I think about things that benefit me. When I think about doing one thing, I feel guilty for not doing something else that also really needs to get done.

But I recently took a step back in the hopes to find something that would help me be more productive and less overwhelmed.  I’m happy to say that I finally found the solution: To Do Lists. You may laugh at me, but the truth is I make two “To Do Lists” at the beginning of every week. One, on a regular sheet of paper with a pretty highlighter and the second, in my day-planner (which I just got from the best store in the world: Target).
This has really helped me grasp all my thoughts and things I need to get done, so that they are not all floating in my head getting larger by the second.  By having everything written down I am able to prioritize what needs to get done right away and take care of those tasks first.

The next thing I do is the major one; I take EACH task ONE task at a time. This is vital advice for not getting too overwhelmed.One of my problems was that I jumped from task to task until I felt like I was running in circles. 
Now I start and finish a task before I move on to the next, making sure to cross it off my list before doing so. And let me just tell you, I get some weird satisfaction from seeing that highlighter light up my paper as I cross off task by task.


Now, I know that making to do lists isn’t for everyone, but my advice to you is to look up ways of organizing your life until you find what fits you best.  But one thing I feel works for everyone-and I really hope it helps you is taking one task at a time
Also, don’t feel guilty if you didn’t get something done or you decided to take a break and watch some TV. There is nothing wrong with taking a little you time, I do it all the time. Just last week I had a few things I didn’t get done. Before, I would’ve felt guilty and overwhelmed because I didn’t get anything done and how I was being so lazy and blah blah blah.  Now, I just say it is ok. I was productive all week. I will just add these things to my “To Do List” for the next week.
So just like I’ve learned to do, I want you to remember this: life is too short to spend your time stressing the small stuff. Until next time, stay stress-free.

Also, Don't forget to follow me on:
                                           My Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment